Cumulative Patch Notes - November 3, 2017
- Bard Mode has been added. Starting a new game with Bard Mode gives you a bunch of items to make the adventure less stressful if you just want to enjoy the story.
- A background shader has been optimized, improving performance (particularly in Tomb of Kings). Kindly provided by dtfinch.
- Rings that affect recoil have been disabled in cutscenes.
- Fixed some hangs that could occur in later cutscenes.
- Fixed some issues with achievements not registering or displaying correctly.
- "That Thing With Your Tongue" will now be granted correctly.
- The base gelder drop scale has been changed. Instead of scaling from 1 to 10, it now scales from 2 to 8.
- Basically, you'll get more gelder in the early-game and less gelder in the late-game
- Lydia will now actually teach Anne the Flip talent.
- Added some assets for Marco. He's technically playable but he can't be recruited yet and his talents can't be acquired.
Patch Notes - October 21, 2017
- Anne can now be recruited as a playable character. She's like a mix of Abby and Lydia. Complete her sidequest and she'll join you.
- Skullbats have been removed from the open-pit platforms room in Tomb of Kings East.
- Upgrading the Hip Flask beyond 13 charges is now much more expensive.
- The Vitafilter Ring requires 5 RP now instead of 9.
- Cosmetic rings now require 3 RP instead of 1.
- The Chime Ring now has a Mega version which reveals all unopened chests on the map.
- NPCs will now show a speech bubble if you have to talk to them or if they have a sidequest available.
- Corrected some issues with Norman's conversations.
- Bello would give Lydia the Mana Shield talent if she bought the Arcanist Robe outfit. This has been fixed to require all of her outfits he sells to be owned.
Introducing the Free Version of Zeran's Folly
October 18, 2017
TL;DR: Zeran's Folly now has a free, gimped version. For the latest and greatest versions and updates, cough up $10 and get it on Steam.
Launch wasnít fun for me. I created and released the game with undefined and unclear expectations and came away disappointed, although I didn't have a cogent reason for why. The game sold laughably poorly, fewer than double-digit sales. This upset me, although I have pointed out before that Iím making the game as a passion project and not as a way to get money or whatever. So why was I upset?
Posting on the gamedev subreddit and embarrassing myself in front of thousands of people made me realize a few things:
ē I donít want sales for the sake of sales. Iíd rather someone not buy the game if theyíre not going to play it. I have money.
ē Thereís more assured enjoyment in just making things rather than sharing it with others and hoping they like it. Other people enjoying it is a nice bonus but the real end-goal is creating.
ē The halo effect is real. If something is proven (or implied) successful, people will minimize flaws and extoll the virtues. The opposite is true for proven (or implied) failures. When it comes to entertainment, something is only as good as what someone else says it is. Itís all a matter of frame of reference. Innate quality plays a part but perception is 50% or more. But, this is beside the point.
Going along with the first two premises, my actions (trying to sell a game on Steam) did not match up with my intentions (creating a thing). Seeing similar games gain success gave me the delusion I could compete. I was wrong. It was because of this delusion that I came away disappointed.
As an aside, a lot of people pointed out that I should be proud I did an impressive thing in finishing a game. And I am, I suppose. But now itís just a matter of course for me. Iíve been finishing games for over 15 years, this isnít anything new. And to be honest, it doesnít make a damn bit of difference if you finish a game or not. My life would be exactly the same if I hadnít finished. I still get up in the morning, go to work during the week, and draw stupid shit on the weekends. I guess now I write stupid introspective articles on my personal site that nobody reads, so thatís different. The pride of accomplishment fades quickly.
Now that my expectations have been made clear and my motivations defined, I am ready to clarify my goals and actions. Taking into account the following:
ē I donít care about money,
ē Creation is the end,
ē and I fucking hate marketing and dealing with business people,
...I have decided to adopt the structure that ADOM, one of my favorite games, uses. Shareware, basically. I donít know if itís still true but there was a time when they had a free version and a paid version. The paid version had all the latest fixes and features and you probably got some other cool stuff too, I donít know. I played the free version. But, after a while, I enjoyed the game so much that I decided to support Tommy B and buy the game on Steam so I could play the latest and greatest version.
To that end, I am introducing the Free version of Zeranís Folly. The main story is fully playable and everything. Hereís the catch:
ē The free version will never be updated. No bug fixes, no future content updates, nothing.
ē No Relive Memories (New Game +).
ē No Steam integration. This means no achievements, cloud saves, etc.
If you enjoy the game, consider buying it on Steam. The above restrictions will be lifted and youíll get so much more to enjoy with future updates:
ē Two new playable characters, Anne and Marco
ē New dungeons including Solar City, Cosmic Abyss, Sky Dragon Isle, and more
ē New minigames like The Necro Pits, Turtleball, Siegebreaker, and more
ē And whatever else is suggested or I feel like doing
Consider the free version officially-sanctioned piracy. Instead of going on malware-infested torrent sites, you can download the game safely from the official website.
As I stated above, I fucking hate marketing. With this free version, I no longer have to read asinine emails or obvious scams asking for keys, I can just delete them since they didnít do the 10 seconds of research to look on the fucking official website to see thereís a free version.
Anyway, play the game if you want. Want to buy it? Cool, knock yourself out. I've accepted that I've reached the limit of any success I'll ever see given my skills and goals. I just want to sit here and make stuff. Iím keeping the game on Steam because itís a convenient way to handle the cash horseshit and it also supplies a forum and other nice things. Chat on there if you like or hit me up on Twitter if you want to say things.
You can find the Free Version here.
October 6, 2017
Zeran's Folly has been released. You can buy it on Steam.
Patch Notes - October 5, 2017
- All 24 talents can now be acquired. All talents are either gifted or sold by NPCs.
- Lisa's "Unshakable" talent (can't be flailed) has been replaced with "Sky Dragon Grace" which inproves Torpedo steering.
- Small changes to the Sun Key room in Vinegarden to make the intended path more obvious.
- A certain man-slave is no longer a generic Naryaat Male.
- Potential fix to a possible hang when defeating He'eule.
Patch Notes - October 1, 2017
- Platejaws now correctly give Ring Jewel XP.
- Wall Crawlers now shoot fireballs instead of flame shots.
- Most normal enemies now deal at most 1 heart of damage.
- Fireballs have a greatly reduced lifespan.
- New Ring Jewel RP-Up effect. Can be turned off in Options.
September 30, 2017
- Added Heart Stones to Pukamake Grotto.
- New music track: Halls of Confusion
- Halls of Confusion will now play in the correct areas.
Patch Notes - September 29, 2017
- Texture Resolution Quality will now be reduced automatically if needed.
- Tome of Secrets added to Lone's room.
- Jeasel will no longer appear in Halden when he's out on an errand.
- Kula now sells rings, health increases, and Hip Flask infusions.
- Clarified the instructions for Da Kula Hula.
- You can now talk to Kula and his sharks without having to re-enter the room.
- Made some of Lisa's dialogue more pidgin-y.
- New music track: Gale's Bluff
- New music track: Aexolix
- Beers added to tables in Halden and the Hideout.
- Boss health panels now show the boss's name.
- Boss health panels now use a generic Skull icon as the face.
- Counter digits no longer have a black outline.
- Counters now correctly display values above 99,999.
September 25, 2017
It was suggested that I make an actual site for Zeran's Folly instead of using the IndieDB page forever, so here it is.
All the latest news and patch notes will be posted here, if you're into that sort of thing.
I'd also like to point out that there's a "Fan Stuff" section up there. Feel free to email or tweet me your fan art, videos, whatever and I'll post it on the site here. I will also provide links to the content on your personal page as long as I can show a thumbnail.
Patch Notes - September 24, 2017
- Mo'i will now refill your Hip Flask for free.
- The final room in the Test of Strength has been made much easier. The Turtle Bola travels more, there are extra drop floors, and drop floors stay airborne longer.
- New music track: Garden Rush
- Springs have gotten a makeover.
- Locks now have a non-black outline.
- The save file now stores the date and time of the last save.